This is the easiest pickle recipe you will ever find. There is no cooking and no canning. My mother adapted this recipe after hearing about it from a elderly farmer. He called them "ice box" pickles. They are so simple!
Things You'll Need:
- 1 very large jar (2 quarts or bigger)
- 6 C Cucumbers
- 1 C Onions
- 1 C Vinegar
- 2 C Sugar (I use unrefined sugar)
- 1 t Celery Seed
- 1 t Mustard Seed
- 1 t Sea Salt
Step 1Slicing. Slice 6 Cups of Cucumbers as thin as you can get them. Slice 1 Cup of Onions as thin as you can get them.
Step 2Combine Everything. In a very large jar, place the cucumbers, onions and remaining ingredients. Don't heat anything. You can add other spices to your taste or preference, such as dill weed shown above.
Step 3Refrigerate. Place in the refrigerator and stir or shake daily for 6 days. It will take a few hours for the pickles to become juicy.
Tips & Warnings
- I've been told these will stay good for 6 months in the refrigerator. In my home, they are always eaten well before that, so I haven't had a chance to test that for myself.
- These have a subtle flavor. They do not have a strong vinegar flavor, and they are not extremely sweet.
- If you have never made pickles before, you may think you have made a mistake. They will initially look dry. It takes several hours for the pickles to make their juice.