Thursday, July 28, 2011

2011 Vegetable Garden - How Many Zucchini and Tomato Plants Do I Need?

squash, cucumbers, zucchini
I planted 6 tomato plants this year. One came up volunteer, so that's a total of 7. From those plants, I harvested 12 bags of tomatoes. I typically add them to fried potatoes or to spaghetti sauce. I purchase organic jars of spaghetti sauce and a bag of organic tomatoes from my garden stretches it twice as far. I could use up one bag of tomatoes a week, so 52 bags wouldn't be too much to put up each growing season. I certainly could've done with a lot more tomatoes. Next year, I hope to plant 28 tomato plants.
frozen zucchini
We're not quite through with the growing season yet. So I might get another bag or two of tomatoes out of the garden.

I had 3 thriving zucchini plants and from those I've got about 28 bags of zucchini. That was enough for me, and I also made 12 cans of sweet zucchini relish. If I'd had one more zucchini plant, I'd have had plenty to share with family. Next year, I hope to grow at least 4 zucchini.

This year, I also grew ornamental gourds and I have a ton of those. They're pretty but they're really not very functional. I don't have any purpose for them and the vines took up a lot of garden space that could have been used to grow something else. Note to self - Don't grow ornamental gourds again.

Next year, I hope to have at least 1 pepper plant. I've never had a lot of luck with peppers, but I should try again. I just bought organic peppers at the grocery store today. $5.85 for 2 green peppers and $6.50 for two red peppers. Ridiculous!

No comments:

Popular Posts

Labels

2011 (1) allergy tea (2) apple bread recipe (1) apple canning recipe (1) apricot kernel (1) april (1) Blackberries (3) blackberry jam (1) brambles (1) can apples (1) can pears (1) can zucchini (1) canned beats (1) canning (1) canning beets (1) canning pear halves (1) canning pear recipes (1) canning pear sauce (1) Cattails (1) cobbler (1) companion planting (1) corn (2) crop rotation (1) cucumber (1) dandelions (2) elderberry (1) evergreen (1) fall garden (1) first aid (1) fish (1) food (1) forage (3) freeze a tomato (1) frugal (1) fruit (1) garden (1) gardening to save money (1) garlic powder (1) genetically modified (1) genetically modified crops (1) GMO crops (1) GMO seed (1) gooseberries (1) gourd (1) green all winter (1) green zazzle store (1) harvest (1) herb infusion (1) herbal medicine (1) herbs at home to make medicine (1) herbs for medicine (1) how much tomato (1) how much zucchini (1) how to make herbal medicine (1) identifying vines (1) ifused oil (1) infusing herbs (1) jalapenos (1) jojoba (1) kansas (3) lavender (3) lemon balm (1) make-ahead apple bread (1) making medicine from herbs (2) making tincture (1) medicine (1) mountain rose herbs (1) mulberries (3) natural organic beauty (1) nervine herbs (1) Nettle (1) nutrition (1) October (1) oil infusion (1) olive oil (1) onions (2) organic (2) Peaches (2) pear sauce (1) pears (2) peas (1) peppermint (1) peppers (2) pickle (1) pickle relish canning (1) pickling beets (1) pie (1) planting watermelon (1) pool (1) preparing the garden for winter (1) pressure canning (1) pumpkin (2) radishes (1) recipes (1) red clover (2) reuse water (1) Sage (4) sale (1) salsa (1) savings (1) September (1) skin care (1) skullcap (1) soda (1) spring (2) st johns wort (1) starting seeds (1) tincture (1) tomatoes (4) use herbs (1) valerian (1) value (1) water (1) water bath canning (1) water conservation (1) wild blackberries (3) wild blackberry pie (1) zucchini (4) zucchini relish recipe (1)